University Administration Support Program Fellowship in USA University
Developed and implemented by IREX and kindly supported by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the University Administration Support Program (UASP) supports the development of university research management and knowledge transfer capacity through a six-week fellowship in the United States for mid- to senior-level university leaders – University Administration Support Program Fellowship in USA University.
It assists mid- to senior-level university leaders (managers, administrators, and faculty) from Africa and Eurasia to develop their capacity to manage research and knowledge transfer through a six-week fellowship in the United States.
The training program includes;
The UASP provides to fellows: roundtrip airfare, visa fees, accident, and sickness insurance, housing, daily allowance (to cover meals and basic incidentals), and a professional development allowance (to use for research management-related educational materials, short visits to other US institutions, conferences, and memberships in professional associations).
It includes two weeks of intensive training in Washington, DC, A four-week placement observing and analyzing research management operations at a respected US university, Peer-to-peer learning, A virtual learning environment to share resources and network with peers remotely & Post-placement support implementing reforms, including a small grants competition.
Who can apply for the training
To be eligible for the University Administration Support Program, you have to be a citizen of and reside in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda at the time of application and participation. Ethiopia is one of the eligible countries for the program and here are the eligibility requirements;
- Hold a full-time mid- or senior-level position focusing on research management at an eligible university.
- Have a sufficient level of proficiency in written and spoken English to work independently in the United States and engage colleagues.
- Be able to receive and maintain a J-1 visa. Please note, your passport should be valid at least 6 months after the fellowship program end date.
- Be available to participate in the fellowship in the United States for approximately six weeks during Fall 2020 or Winter 2021.
- Sufficient proficiency in English to converse and conduct work independently at the Washington DC workshops and at the US host university (For participants who do not use English as their primary professional working language, an interview will be held if no recent IELTS or TOEFL is available).
How to Apply for the training
The application will ask applicants to prepare and upload the following support documents with their application
- Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Letter of support from immediate supervisor: please download the form template for this here , provide to your supervisor, and then upload with your application submission
- Letter of support from home institution Deputy Vice Chancellor Research (or equivalent post)
- Home institution organizational chart
- See Application form for instructions for the required format for each support document).
For more information about the University Administration Support Program (UASP), please visit IREX Research Management fellowship opportunity for leaders from Africa website.
Read our article about Free UK Scholarships